Tuesday, May 8, 2007
May Day Challenge Begins!


Today is the day! And would you believe I remembered all week and then totally forgot about this! I did get a photo of me -- my husband was actually taking me with my horse and I told him to skip the body, but ... he didn't.

I weighed myself this morning, I know they say you shouldn't weigh yourself every day -- but I do. Does anyone else that weighs daily have a fluctuating weight of 3 lbs? And, uh, its not that time of the month. {sorry!}

My short weight loss story: In 1992 after the birth of my youngest child -- I weighed too much! I'll be honest, since I'm not at that weight today. I weighed in at a whopping 183 lbs. I am 5'8" tall.
I began a job that involved a lot of walking, and lost 20 lbs with that. I think that "boost" helped. I wanted to lose more, so I began a fat free diet and over the next few months, lost another 30 lbs. I did weigh on Friday mornings only. So, I was down to about 133/134. I did reach my high school weight of 129 once -- but my mom was pretty ill at the time and that probably contributed to it.

I kept the weight totally off -- but then in 2002 it started to creep back on. I think many things contributed to it -- lack of movement and then lazy about what I ate. After I gained back 20 lbs -- I realized -- Uh oh! This is not working. I then began a sporadic way of eating -- and I believe my body couldn't figure out if it was starving itself or not -- and for the last year -- I have STRUGGLED to lose weight. I'll lose a few, then it will come back. Its been a vicious cycle and very discouraging. I lost 12 lbs in 2006 but 7 of those are back.

About a month or so ago, I decided to get with the program. I think the hardest part is actually eating on a schedule. My husband says that is the main key -- and then eating healthy foods. I've managed to lose a few more, but have been back and forth on the scale this week. Ugh!!

I would like to lose 20 lbs. I am 41 years old, I do NOT need to be a size 6. It would be nice, but to be honest, I'd probably look sick.

Here's what I'm doing:

Walk for one hour at least 5 times a week. At least. Its been raining here -- and thankfully none today so hopefully I can get on the band wagon and walk this evening.

Eat 3 healthy (smaller portion than normal!) meals a day with 2-3 healthy snacks. (fruit or veggies/popcorn) I've seen results when I do eat correctly.

I just need a boost I think -- and not sure how to achieve that?

Advice is more than welcome..

So let the loss begin. We can do this.

Labels:



9 Comments:

Blogger Melanie said...

I also weigh myself everyday even though it's against the "rules." I find that if I don't- I have gained weight by weeks end. It kind of keeps me in check. My weight does seem to fluctuate also-depending on what I ate the day before.
My story is up too, so come by and visit- just no snacking while you're visiting! ;)

Blogger Southern Girl said...

My best piece of advice is NOT to weigh every day. ;) During the 16 months I spent on WW, I experimented with weighing weekly and weighly daily, and I found as you have, that not only does weight fluctuate from one day to another, it varies *within* a day. I found myself becoming discouraged much more quickly when I weighed daily -- it really has a way of messing with your mind.

Instead, what I've started doing is having one pre-weigh-in weigh-in. My official weigh-in is on Sunday mornings, so I usually will weigh myself on Thursday or Friday mornings -- that gives me a good idea of what I've done so far for most of the week, and if the news isn't good, I still have two or three days to really buckle down.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I fluctuate by a few pounds too. (And I break the rules by weighing every day too - I like to know where I'm at).

Janne
http://janne.cc/blog

Blogger Robin said...

I NEED to weigh every day - it keeps me accountable to myself. I find that when I don't weigh it is because I am trying to deny the obvious - I have messed up and am playing with the idea of getting off the wagon. I think we all need to do what works best for us. Good luck to you. I'm in the challenge too.

Blogger elizabeth said...

Stopping in to wish a fellow challenger luck! :)

Yep, I'm a rebel and weigh everyday as well. Not sure why since so far I haven't changed anything based on what I see, but maybe it's just a habit.

Blogger Mich said...

Hello and thanks for linking me! (I'll be do the same with challengers in the coming days)

WE can do this!!!!

Blogger MizB said...

You asked for advice, and I have just one tidbit... try Intuitive Eating. ;o) It's NON-dieting, but it works!

Good luck with the challenge (from a fellow challenge participant!)

<>< Mizbooks

Blogger Hillary said...

Hey Best wishes during the challenge!! I am excited to see your success!
I can be obsessive on weighing so I actually took my scale out of the house and I leave it at church. I have a weight loss class and we weigh every week during class, that way we are weighing at the same time only once a week. I know for myself if I weigh everyday and see the changes in the weight it makes me CRAZY and if I show a gain I am really strict on myself but if I show a big loss I tend to cheat.
I am in the challenge also and I am so excited to have such a large group of fellow challengers!!

Blogger Andrea said...

I definitely don't weigh every day because I know it would just drive me bananas! Just stopping by to say hi - be sure to let us know how you're doing :-)

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer